Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Solving Papers Please OpenGL problems

Recently, I've been attempting to try out Papers, Please a puzzle videogame placing you as a border inspector in a fictional eastern bloc country. Recently I upgraded to windows 8.1, and had assumed everything had ran smoothly during the upgrade. I haven't played games of any kind for a half year and was presently surprised when Papers, Please spat out an error that it couldn't locate OpenGL.
Hmm, I thought I'd at least have the latest drivers for my AMD card....
It would seem that Microsoft reverted me to it's own driver for my graphics card, with no support for OpenGL. After fumbling around, I finally realized my stupidity and fixed the problem after a week.

First off, initiate a download for the latest driver for your card: As of today for AMD that would be here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%208%20-%2064

Update(5;April;2015){
I've included a link to the actual driver in case the AMD link above stops working:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85sPWnfQCJLSmpISTBTWnBHa3M/view?usp=sharing
}

You'll obviously have to uninstall the defective auto windows dirver (right click on My Computer then select Device Manager):


Check the little checkbox that will come up:

Once your screen stops jumping hula hoops, you'll want to install the AMD driver that you recently downloaded (make note of where the installer extracts its data usually on to a folder AMD on your C drive).

I had the extra step of having to go to Device Manager and refreshing it to show any hardware changes. I right clicked my driver and selected Update Driver Software and selected Browse my computer for driver software. Browse to the location I made you take note of and windows should take it from there.

If you need any clarification on instructions, please leave a comment below.

And help support the Humble Bundle by purchasing Papers, Please yourself and giving it a try:
Humble Bundle - Papers Please

Sources:
Papers, Please
http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/34538-ati-radeon-hd4550-opengl-2-win-8-1-a-3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment